Research on the development process that Ayvalik has followed throughout history has taken us quite old times. There is really a curiosity and an interesting history. It is a rooted, dynamic, colorful and rich past ... When we look at antiquity, we first encounter the islands known as "Hekatonisa" in front of Ayvalık. This name comes from Hekatos, the nickname of Apollon, the chief god of the ancient city of Nasos. The largest of these islands, also known as the Apollon Islands, Nesos? He took his name from the ancient city of Nasos, Nesos. Nesos is the island that will be called Moshonisi, Cunda, Alibey respectively in years. There are other ancient settlements in the Apollon Islands other than Nesos: "Chalkis", "Pordoselene" and "Kydonia". Nesos, Chalkis and Pordoselene are mentioned in ancient sources whereas Kydonia's name is only Strabon and Plinius anar. Plinius uses the phrase "has a famous hot water source that flows in the summertime" for Kydonia.
Ayvalık foundation is being used
Today there is no foundation found on the earth, where it is supposed to be the old Kydonia. On the other hand, numerous pottery fragments of the ancient period on the surface are striking the pond. From these fragments, it is understood that it is a settlement center belonging to the Hellenistic (330-30 BC) and Roman (30- İS 395) ages in the region. Kydonia lives the most brilliant period of the Roman Age. However, it loses its importance in the following years, especially towards the end of the Byzantine Age. The settlement slides towards the skirts of İlkkurşun Tepesi in Ayvalik. According to some of the Byzantine Age data uncovered here, it is recovered once again and enters a new development process. Chalkis and Pordoselene from these four ancient cities complete their lives over the years. Kydonia and Nesos resist time. Kydonia, "Ayvalık", Nesos, "Cunda" or "Alibey" with the names of the survival of the day to succeed. As for the Greek researchers? According to them, in the 1700s, Ayvalık's bases were left by the immigrants who left the nearby isles in the face of constant attacks by pirates. These people who settled first in Kabakum, come to the area known as Küçükköy today as a detention from attack. Then they leave and head towards the shore in a lake view and set up Ayvalık. Until the end of the 16th century, Ayvalık existed as an ordinary coastal town where more fishermen, locals and villagers live. As the production capacity and opportunities increase with the incoming population, they start to urbanize by strengthening industrial and maritime trade. It is the rich economic structure created by the commercial relations developed by the industry and the Mediterranean countries that really shape the socio-cultural structure of Cunda and Ayvalık.
MISSED HASAN PAŞA IN AYVALIK
In the development of Ayvalık beginning in the late 18th century, the name of King Ikonomou stands out. The connection that priest İkonomou established with the Cezayirli Hasan Pasha from the commanders of the Ottoman State also gave a direction to the Ottoman State-Ayvalık relations. The story of this "historical" development is briefly as follows: Cezayirli Hasan Pasha, in 1770 near the Cesme near Çeşme is fired by the Russian fleet in the fleet of the ship. On top of this, Pasha is landed in case of injured. Set out to join the Ottoman fleet in Çanakkale. Ayvalik'a with three men next to him. The aim is to provide help. In this way, Pastor Ikonomou plays the door of the ranch, becoming a guest without disclosing his identity. It is very well hosted here. When Papa understands that he can trust, he tells who he is and asks for help in reaching the navy. The chaplain makes the necessary help and provides a right release to the Pasha's fleet. Cezayirli Hasan Pasha, soon before the sovereignty of the Grand Vizier. In the meantime, economic and social troubles started in Ayvalık. Pastor Ikonomou, who is looking for a solution, finds his way to Istanbul and see Hasan Pasha. He asks for an autonomy-consensus-order for Ayvalık. Pasha accepts this request without hesitation. With İkonomou taking the bean and returning to Ayvalık, Ayvalık becomes an independent administration. The year is 1773.
CONSULARLY OPENED, ACADEMIC ESTABLISHED
This autonomy brings a whole new dimension to Ayvalık's development line. The city, which achieves full economic freedom, rapidly increases its industry and trade power by taking advantage of its physical possibilities. As a natural consequence of enrichment, it also attracts attention with its social and cultural structure. The most striking effect of wealth, accumulation and cultural development manifests itself in the architectural space. Over the years a magnificent architectural texture is formed. In other words, Ayvalık's richness is reflected in its fancy architecture. When the consulate is allowed to be established at the coastal ports, Ayvalık's development and outward expansion are accelerated. Thus, the consulates of England, Italy, Austria-Hungary, France and Norway, especially Greece, are opened in the city. In 1803 Ayvalik Academy was established. Philosophy, philology, logic, physics, mathematics are taught here. Meanwhile, olive oil and soap factories become the determinant of the city economy.
AYVALIK CONNECTS TO BALIKESIR
Ayvalik is connected to the province of Saruhan (Manisa) until 1847 and goes to Hüdavendigar (Bursa) in the same year. After a while, it is connected to Karesi (Balıkesir). In the meantime, the Dalyan Strait is expanded in order to revitalize transportation and further strengthen maritime trade. These developments Dogan Aka, "Ayvalık Economic Geography" As describes in his book: "that opens the Ayvalık port of the Aegean Sea narrow and shallow Dalyan Strait, with the permission granted on 1880, when the capital was extended by a company with twenty thousand pounds. Opening the two-year Throat ' s operating rights are given to this company for twenty-two years. opening the throat, he gave opportunity to enter inside the ferry could not enter the harbor up to date and provided this event Ayvalık's commercial area where considerable progress in
4,000 DOLLARS IN 4 SEPARATE
In 1889 Ayvalık is now a large settlement center with 22 olive oil factories, 30 soap shops, 80 mills, 11 churches, 6 schools, 6 pharmacies and 4607 houses in 11 districts. Viniculture in the city becomes widespread, winemaking speeds up. Africa and Asia are processed and marketed domestically and abroad. On the other hand, the wheat, brought from Macedonia, is being processed in the mills lined up in the hills. While these developments are taking place, European Commissioners are now heading directly to Ayvalık to buy oil. The fragrant soaps produced in the soaps are exported to Russia, Balkan countries. The export of agricultural products such as olive oil and soap provides the development of maritime trade. Commercial growth port further stimulates. The arrival of Ayvalık port, which has 200 sailboats with 600 steam turbines per year, reaches 1.5 million gold pounds in 1920. At that time, travelers referred to Ayvalık as "Boston of the East". When the population reaches 30 people and the number of trades increases, the "bazaar" event becomes important. There are now around 1,000 shops in 4 different markets.